Merkle, Christoph, Jan Müller-Dethard, and Martin Weber. (2020). "Closing a Mental Account: The Realization Effect for Gains and Losses." Experimental Economics. forthcoming.
- Since 01/2020: Aarhus University BSS, Department of Economics and Business Economics
- Associate Professor of Finance (with tenure)
Since 01/2020: Danish Finance Institute, Research Fellow
- 2/2017-12/2019: Kühne Logistics University, Department of Economics & Management
- Associate Professor of Finance
- 2/2012–01/2017: University of Mannheim, Chair of Finance and Banking
- Assistant Professor of Finance
- 10/2013–12/2013 Aalto University, School of Business, Helsinki, FI
- 01/2015–07/2015 Duke University, Fuqua School of Business, Durham, NC, USA
- 09/2010–01/2012: University of Mannheim, Chair of Finance and Banking
- Research and Teaching Assistant
- 2007–2011: University of Mannheim
- 11/2011 Ph.D. Finance (Dr. rer.pol., summa cum laude)
- Committee: Martin Weber (chair), Peter Albrecht, Jürgen Schröder
- Graduate School of Economic & Social Sciences
- 2002–2007: University of Cologne
- 02/2007 M.A. Economics (Dipl.-Volkswirt)
- 02/2005-06/2005 University of Economics Prague, CZ
- Behavioral Finance
- Loss Aversion
- Expectation Formation
- Household Finance
- Investment Behavior
- Borrowing Behavior
- Retirement Savings and Timing
- Digital Finance
- Experimental Finance
Merkle, Christoph. (2020). "Financial Loss Aversion Illusion." Review of Finance. 24(2), 381-413.
Becker, Jochen, Josip Medjedovic and Christoph Merkle. (2019). "The Effect of CEO Extraversion on Analyst Forecasts: Stereotypes and Similarity Bias." The Financial Review. 54(1), 133-164.
Merkle, Christoph. (2018). "The curious case of negative volatility; Journal of Financial Markets. 40, 92-108.
Merkle, Christoph, Philipp Schreiber and Martin Weber. (2017). "Framing and retirement age: The gap between willingness-to-accept and willingness-to-pay." Economic Policy. 32(92), 757–809.
Merkle, Christoph. (2017). "Financial overconfidence over time: Foresight, hindsight, and insight of investors." Journal of Banking and Finance. 84, 68-87.
Heuer, Justus, Christoph Merkle and Martin Weber. (2017). "Fooled by Randomness: Investor Perception of Fund Manager Skill." Review of Finance. 21(2), 605-635.
Merkle, Christoph, Daniel Egan and Greg Davies. (2015). "Investor happiness." Journal of Economic Psychology. 49, 167-186.
Merkle, Christoph and Martin Weber. (2014). "Do Investors Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is? Stock Market Expectations and Trading Behavior." Journal of Banking and Finance. 46, 372–386.
Egan, Daniel, Christoph Merkle, and Martin Weber. (2014). "Second-order Beliefs and the Individual Investor." Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. 107B, 652-666.
Kempf, Alexander, Christoph Merkle and Alexandra Niessen-Ruenzi. (2011). "Low Risk and High Return – Affective Attitudes and Stock Market Expectations." European Financial Management. 20(5), 995-1030.
True Overconfidence: The Inability of Rational Information Processing to Account for Apparent Overconfidence
Merkle, Christoph and Martin Weber. (2011). "True Overconfidence: The Inability of Rational Information Processing to Account for Apparent Overconfidence." Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 116(2), 262-271.
Internal seminar presentation at Aarhus BSS, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus, Denmark
Invited presentation at Radboud University, Nijmegen School of Management, Nijmegen, The Netherlands (virtual)
Conference presentation at Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia (virtual)
Invited presentation at University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany
Conference presentation at University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
Conference presentation at University of Economics, Prague, Czech Republik
Conference presentation at SKEMA Business School, Sophia-Antipolis, France
Conference Presentation at Boerse Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
Invited presentation at Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark
Invited presentation at Trinity Business School, Dublin, Ireland
Conference presentation at City Resort Hotel, Leiden, The Netherlands